About Our Staff



Maribel, Owner
Professional Stylist, Colorist

Established only 4 years ago my salon…our salon, has been in my subconscious since childhood. I’ve always had a passion for hair, make up, fashion etc. As a child I remember playing with makeup through much encouragement of my father, rapidly gaining my families trust in letting me beautify them, slowly “play” became more than pastime. Following that zeal I took a part-time assistant position in a chic NYC salon. The owner, my mentor, quickly noticed my potential and motivated me to augment my ‘creative gift’. My 10 years of hard work finally paid-off when my family and I opened in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

Rapidly changing Williamsburg is now my home, Velvet Roses has become my extended family which has superseded those childhood dreams of mine. Amid accomplished colleagues: Ruthie, Melissa,and Audry,& Ana (assistant). This creative bunch humbly is among Brooklyn's prominent.

Maribel's Forte - Long hair, womens cuts, curly hair, color, relaxers {ethnic hair}, Reparation- extensive knowledge in therapeutics- curative treatments for broken, dried, over processed, color damaged, burnt (caused by excess blow-drying &/or flat-ironing) those tresses.

Ruthie Torres: Stylist & Colorist since Opening March 2007
Ruthie’s embryonic flair has proven to be a great asset to Velvet Roses, her abundant male and short haired clientele vitally noticeable by reviews received on Yelp.com & CitySearch.com. Ruthie’s resourceful and experienced professionalism has won her a well deserved fan base in Brooklyn.

Ruthie's Forte-Short Cuts (Long to short, short style change and maintainer cuts, men’s cuts)

Melissa Zola: (Expert Colorist, Professional Stylist)
Having graduated with honors from Richard Stockton College with a dual major in Graphic Design and Photography, Melissa went on to work with various design firms in New York City before beginning her training at Aveda. In making the transition from visual media, she has translated her knowledge of color, design and movement into her work, individually tailoring styles to each of her clients.
Melissa’s professionalism and credentials are an incomparable addition to Velvet Roses.
Melissa's Forte- Color, Men’s cuts and more http://www.melissazolahair.com/

It’ll be our pleasure to indulge you with our affable ambiance.